Water plays a huge part in all of our lives and we are constantly using it for various reasons throughout the day. Read on for some fascinating facts about water. You may never take the humble H2O for granted again…
- Water expands by 9% when it freezes.
- In a 100-year period, a water molecule spends 98 years in the ocean, 20 months as ice, about 2 weeks in lakes and rivers, and less than a week in the atmosphere.
- Water makes up about 66 percent of the human body.
- There is an estimated 1232 million trillion litres of water on earth.
- One water molecule is made up of 3 atoms: 2 hydrogen (H2) and 1 oxygen (O). One drop of water is made up of billions of these molecules.
- To create one pint of beer it takes 75 litres of water.
- One third of what the world spends on bottled water in one year could pay for projects providing water to everyone in need.
- A jellyfish and a cucumber are each 95% water.
- A person can live about a month without food, but only about a week without water.
- Refilling a 500ml water bottle 1,740 times with tap water is the equivalent cost of a £1 water bottle at a supermarket.
- A water-efficient dishwasher uses as little as 15 litres per cycle but hand washing dishes uses 75 litres of water.
- We need to drink about two litres of water a day to stay healthy.
- Water use has grown at more than twice the rate of population increase in the last century.
- Water is the most common substance found on earth.
- There has never, in over 90 years of history been a health related problem reported that was associated with a water softener.
We hope that you learnt something interesting from our facts about water. You can get even more out of the water in your home by having a water softening or filtration system installed. Contact us today with any questions and we’d be delighted to talk you through the options available.